The Malaysia Kitchen Programme (MKP) is a programme aimed at promoting Malaysian restaurants overseas, by creating demand for Malaysian cuisine through an integrated, holistic and multi-pronged promotion programme in collaboration with restaurant operators. The main objectives of the MKP are ultimately to increase patronage of Malaysian restaurants operating overseas as well as increase exports of processed food, food ingredients, and agriculture produce and to attract tourists to Malaysia.
Strategies to promote Malaysian restaurants and cuisine:
- Capitalising on existing Malaysian restaurants overseas including franchise;
- Integrated campaign promoting Malaysian restaurants overseas;
- Promotion campaigns in cities where there is a critical mass of Malaysian restaurants;
- Leveraging on all touch points which covers various types of restaurants from fine dining, bistro, café, fast food and takeaways to cater for all market segments which includes the upper and middle class, executives, students, tourists, families and office workers; and
- Associating Malaysian cuisine with intellectually stimulating experiences by incorporating elements of knowledge, history, art, culture, creativity, innovations and lifestyle.
Restaurants participating in the Malaysia Kitchen Programme will benefit from the following:
A focus on the public relations (PR) initiatives lined-up under the Malaysia Kitchen Programme which includes reviews by well-known personalities, travel writers and novelists as well as evaluations by international restaurant rating agencies;
Restaurants will be featured in the Malaysia Kitchen portal and promotion collaterals to create awareness about the restaurants;
Exposure in international gastronomic events such as trade shows, cookery programmes and demonstrations.
Export-Import Bank of Malaysia Berhad (EXIM Bank) provides financing facilities through the Malaysia Kitchen Financing Facility (MKFF) to assist Malaysian entrepreneurs in obtaining credit/financing facilities for the purpose of:
- Opening new restaurants overseas;
- Expansion of existing restaurants or the opening of new branches; and
- Development of Malaysian food ‘franchise’ internationally.
For further information on the financing facility, log on to www.exim.com.my.
Sourcing for Malaysian food ingredients.
New and authentic Malaysian recipes for research and development.
Assistance in promotion of Malaysian restaurants through arts, culture and literary works.
Supply of promotion materials and collaterals.
Promotion through tie-ups with hotels, hypermarkets, airlines, TV channels and culinary centres.
Identification of talents for restaurants through Associations and Training Institutions.
Who can participate?
Malaysia Kitchen Promotion programme is open to all Malaysian restaurants abroad and foreign owned restaurants serving Malaysian cuisine.
Application for Malaysia Kitchen Financing Facility (MKFF) is open to restaurants abroad with 51% Malaysian equity of total registered capital either incorporated under the Malaysian Companies Act 1965 or under the Private Limited Company in the country of operation.
For enquiries, please contact:
Malaysia Kitchen Secretariat,
12th Floor, East Wing, Menara MATRADE,
Jalan Khidmat Usaha, Off Jalan Duta,
50480 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel : +603-6207-7273 / 7272/ 7266 / 7269
Fax : +603-6203-7024
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org